Jigging question

Beaucephusdogs
Thinking about going down next day or so(Puyallup), don't see much talk of anything being caught, and the guys I spoke to near the old fishing spot today said they think the nets cleaned the river out.
Was wondering what would be best size (weight) and set-up to make an attempt at twitching or snagging up and losing gear.
What is the best knot to tie a jig on, do I tie tight to the head, or more of a Rapala type knot for the jig to move freely? I checked videos online, and see they recommend tying directly to the mainline, no swivels or snaps.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Already have a fair assortment of colors and sizes of jigs, peach & white, pink, cerise & black, and nightmare.
Was told heads could be dipped in gooey scents, or hooks could be tipped with loonies, could one also tip with eggs?
I know on my last trip down, no one was hooking anything, but we could see those telltale wakes of submarines heading upstream in the clear water.
"And these children that you spit on, as they try and change their world. Are immune to your consultations, they're quite aware of what they're going through."
"And I'd rather play here, with all the madmen for I'm quite content, they're all as sane as me."
(David Bowie 1/8/1947 - 1/10/2016)